Learning how to close a pocket knife can be tricky for first-timers. But, pocket knives are not that hard to use, and their mechanism is quite simple to master. For those of you who are new to the world of EDC knives, there are a few ways to safely close a pocket knife, but the method could be different for each type of knife’s lock.
To close a pocket knife, you will need to push or pull the lock and then simply close the blade. Most pocket knives have the same mechanism for closing the blade. They all consist of a locking mechanism that keeps the blade in place until you pull it out with force.
Once you understand the locking mechanism, it would be super easy for you to safely close any type of pocket knife in a matter of seconds. In this guide, I am going to explain a detailed locking mechanism of different types of pocket knives and the ways to close each one of them.
How to Close Different Types of Pocket Knives?
All pocket knives are different, and some types also have different locks to make sure the knife is kept safely locked. Some locks operate automatically, while others need to be manually operated.
So, it is essential to learn about different types of blade locks first; this will lead you to understand how you can close them easily and safely.
Following are the different types of locks used in pocket folding knives:
Slip Joint Lock Knife: How it Works?
A slip joint is exactly what it sounds like: a joint that slips. When it comes to locks, this one is an older mechanism used in many pocket knives, particularly ones that are very small and intended for everyday carry.
The blade on a slip joint doesn’t have a lock. Instead, it relies on the friction created by the handle’s material to hold the blade in place when opened. If enough force is applied to close the knife, though, there’s nothing to keep it from closing.
How to Close a Slip Joint Knife?
The process is simple but can be done in different ways depending on the knife’s design. Some have a small latch near the top of the blade, while some are designed with a small hole near the base of the blade so that the tip of your finger can’t slip into it.
An easy way to close your knife is with a thumb hole.
- Find the hole near the base of your blade and place your thumb into it. You can also use your forefinger or middle finger if you find this easier.
- With your other hand, push down on the knife guard or latch until it clicks into place with your thumb still inside the hole.
- Your knife is now closed.
The frame lock is an internal locking mechanism that engages the blade’s tang into a specially shaped frame in the back of the knife’s handle. This prevents the blade from closing on your fingers during use and ensures you can’t accidentally slip and close your knife on your fingers while it’s in your hands.
When a frame lock is engaged, the top of the blade will be held in place by a small piece of metal, or “frame,” near the handle. The shape and size of this frame can vary, but it usually has a slight curve to it.
How to Close a Frame Lock Knife?
Closing a frame lock knife is quite similar to the slip joint lock knife. There are many ways in which you can easily close your knife using one hand or two hands. But the safest one is to close the knife by using two hands.
- First of all, strongly hold the knife’s grip with your one hand with index fingers open.
- Now, push the blade with the help of your other hand towards its grip.
- When the blade is half-closed, you can use the index fingers of the first hand to help push the blade into its grip.
- When the blade goes into the grip, push it further to ensure safety.
- Your frame knife is closed, and you can easily put it into your pocket or bag.
OUR LATEST VIDEOS
Liner Lock Knife: How it Works?
OUR LATEST VIDEOS
A liner lock is a type of pocket knife lock that has a liner inside the handle that locks the blade in place when it is opened. They are designed to keep the user safe from accidentally closing their knife on their hand.
The liner lock is a flexible piece of material, usually plastic or metal, that locks the blade when it is opened. The liner can be made of one solid piece or in sections.
How to Close a Liner Lock Knife?
Closing a liner lock pocket knife is quite different from other knives. You will have to be careful while closing because you will be engaging with a lock that can immediately release the blade, and it can hurt your fingers.
Here are the simple steps of closing your liner lock knife.
- First, you will need to make sure that the blade is fully open. If it’s not, open the blade so that closing might become easier.
- Now, slightly push the liner lock with your thumb; this will release the blade a bit.
- Now, close the blade with the help of your other hand’s fingers.
- When the blade is fully closed, push it again to ensure it is locked.
Lock Back is a button-operated locking mechanism in pocket knives that prevents the knife from sliding forwards and hurting your hand.
The lock consists of a spring that automatically prevents the blade from being closed. The external button operates the spring. When you push it in, you get the blade out, and when you let go, it locks in place.
How to Close a Lock Back Knife?
There are several kinds of lock-back knives available in the market, and closing each of them might be different from others. But, there is one thing common between them is the push lock.
You will have to spot the push lock button and proceed to the following steps.
- First of all, hold your knife in hand in a way that your index fingers are away from the blade’s closing point (Liner).
- Now push the release lock with the help of your other hand, and you will see that the blade is slightly released from the lock.
- Now, the blade is free from the lock, and you can easily close it with the help of your other hand. But, be careful; your first hand should be away from the blade’s pivot.
How to Close a Button Lock Knife?
Closing a button lock knife is similar to the lock back knife. The only difference is the lock back knife’s lock is situated on the back, and the button lock knife’s lock is situated on the upper front portion of the knife.
Here are the simple steps to close your button lock knife.
- First of all, hold the knife with your first hand and spot the lock button.
- Now, push to button with your holding hand’s thumb.
- You will notice that the blade will be slightly released downward, so in this situation, release the button.
- Now, push the blade downward with the help of your other hand’s index fingers and close the knife completely.
- After closing the blade, again push it with your hand’s grip to ensure complete safety.
The lock consists of the axis around which the blade rotates when it opens and closes. The blade moves freely in and out of the handle but is locked in place when fully opened or closed via a mechanism that tightens around the axis pin, securing the blade and putting it into place so it won’t slip or fall out.
How to Close an Axis Lock Knife?
Closing an Axis lock knife is similar to the push button knives. The only difference is in operation and the convenience. The axis lock knives are easier and more convenient when closing.
You can do this with just one hand by following the simple steps below.
- First of all, spot the lock button on the axis knife. The button is usually placed right on the thumb placement area.
- Now, hold the knife tightly and keep your thumb on the button while keeping your index fingers away from the knife’s Liner area.
- Now press the button, and the blade will automatically be released from the lock and come back towards the grip area (liner).
- When the blade is successfully closed, release the button and push the blade again to ensure the knife is closed.
The mechanism behind the compression lock is simple but ingenious: the locking bar sits inside a pocket in the knife’s handle and is held in place by two metal rods.
The rods are attached at either end to the handle via screws and springs; when the knife is closed, the rods compress against each other and force the locking bar up into an open pocket above them.
How to Close a Compression Lock Pocket knife?
Closing your compression lock knife is very easy, and you can do it with one hand. The operation of the compression lock knife is different from others, which is why the closing procedure is also different. You will have to take care of your hands and fingers while closing this knife because, unlike other knives, its blade is released completely upon pushing the lock button.
But, you can safely close your knife by following the below-mentioned steps.
- First of all, spot the lock button. It is usually placed on the spine of the knife.
- Now, hold your knife strongly with your first hand and release the lock with the help of your thumb. If you can’t use your thumb, you can use your other hand.
- By releasing the lock, the blade will immediately release from the lock and come towards the Liner automatically.
- When the blade is successfully parked in the Liner area, your knife is successfully closed. But, you will have to ensure safety by pressing the blade again.
What safety precautions should you take while closing a pocket knife?
Following are some precautions that you should consider while closing your pocket knife.
- Hunting Knives are dangerous items because they are sharp and can severely damage a human’s skin. So, keep your index fingers away from the Liner Area in every situation.
- When you get a new knife, first of all, educate yourself regarding its mechanism and usage and then start working with it. Without knowing its mechanism, you will end up hurting yourself or damaging the knife or other belongings. So, read the manual book for your knife’s complete details.
- Always make sure your knife is properly closed and locked before keeping it in your pocket or bag. If the knife is not properly closed, it can damage you or your belongings. So, after closing your knife, push it again and make sure it’s closed.
- Last but not least, try to keep your pocket knives away from the moisture, or if they get wet, always dry them before keeping them in your bag. The wet knives may get rusty, and you will face a problem while closing them.
Foldable pocket knives are used around the world by different people. Before using a new one, you need to understand how to close them. I hope that the steps mentioned above will help you close your pocket knives in a safe way; you won’t get stuck folding them and hurting yourself in the process.