If you’re looking for a budget-friendly knife that can do its job just fine, 7cr17mov should be the next item on your shopping list. It’s Chinese stainless steel, perfect for a first-timer or someone who needs a knife in a hurry.
Are you interested in 7cr17mov? This guide will walk you through everything you need to know: how it’s made, its properties, if it’s strong, and more. Take a look and find out!
What is 7cr17mov Steel?
7cr17mov is Chinese-made stainless steel, a rather cost-effective option, perfect for people shopping on a budget. Don’t let the price tag discourage you from buying it, though. Quality-wise, it’s closer to a mid-end blade than your average cheap one.
It’s a modified version of 440a steel and also similar to 8cr13mov. The difference between 7cr17mov and 440a is that this steel is reinforced with different elements, making it stronger and more resistant to wear and corrosion.
It’s a great choice for people who are about to go camping but don’t have a knife yet. It’s also a good option for people who need a kitchen knife or a cleaver but don’t want to invest too much into their kitchen tools.
7cr17mov is steel that gets the job done for half the price.
7cr17mov Steel Composition
For what it’s worth, 7cr17mov is strong steel and one you can rely on. Its high Chromium and Manganese content will keep your knife strong for a long time.
If you’re familiar with the 440a, you’ll notice it’s a reinforced version of that steel.
- 18% of Chromium: Makes the knife stronger and keeps it sharp for longer. It also improves corrosion resistance and wears resistance.
- 1% of Manganese: Improves the blade’s hardness and brittleness.
- 1% of Silicon: Increases the metal’s strength.
- 0.75% of Carbon: Improves both wear and corrosion resistance. It also helps with hardness.
- 0.75% of Molybdenum: Improves strength and machinability.
- 0.6% of Nitrogen: Increases edge retention and strength.
- 0.04% of Phosphorus: Improves strength.
- 0.04% of Sulfur: For machinability purposes.
7cr17mov Steel Properties
7cr17mov can handle a tough job but not too many of them. It has high wear and corrosion resistance but features poor levels of sharpness and toughness. The edge retention isn’t the best but you’re definitely getting more than what you pay for.
- Wear resistance: The steel’s best attribute. As you know, 7cr17mov can handle itself in most scenarios. For low-end steel, it’s way more than you can expect.
- Corrosion resistance: Another high point for 7cr17mov. Humid places are no match for this steel.
- Edge retention: Depending on how you look at it, it could be good or bad. It’s not that good in general terms, but rather good for its price range.
- Sharpness: Since 7cr17mov is not that tough, it’s easy to sharp. You will have to sharpen it often, unfortunately.
- Toughness: It’s not the toughest tool in the shed but decent nonetheless. Not the best option if you expect a stronger-than-average blade.
Is 7cr17mov Steel Good for Knives?
Money-wise, it’s a great knife. You’re getting a somewhat mid-end knife for a low-end price range. It’s a steal if you need a knife but don’t want to buy it at a premium.
Then again, you might expect something way more than what you’ll get and end up disappointed. At the end of the day, it’s Chinese stainless steel.
Keep in mind you should always consider your goals when you’re buying a knife:
- Are you looking for something to get out of a hurry? 7cr17mov is the go-to option.
- Do you want to invest in a knife and get the most out of it? That’s not what this steel is for.
If you’re unsure, it doesn’t hurt to buy it and see for yourself. It’s a budget option that won’t set you back at all.
Will 7cr17mov Steel Rust?
Even though 7cr17mov is not the most resistant stainless steel in the market, it’s definitely one that can take the wear and tear like the best of them. Thanks to its high Chromium content, 7cr17mov has high corrosion resistance and an even better wear resistance.
Don’t get confused, though. Even though it has a high Chromium percentage, it will still find its way to a rusty state if you don’t take care of it. Humid places will not be too terrible for this steel, but lack of care will be.
How Strong is 7cr17mov Steel?
7cr17mov is not the strongest steel out there. If you have a big knife collection and decide to include a 7cr17mov knife into the mix, it’ll probably be one of the weakest blades in the bunch.
Then again, this is not saying 7cr17mov is weak – not at all. It’s more than enough to get the job done, especially for its price. Don’t expect a strong knife ready to face anyone and anything, though.
Is 7cr17mov very strong? Not at all. Is it strong enough to handle your outdoor adventures and your indoor tasks? Of course. It has more than enough strength for that!
Is it Easy to Sharpen 7cr17mov Steel Blades?
It is definitely easy to sharpen 7cr17mov. Since it’s not that tough, you can sharpen this blade quickly.
Unfortunately, there’s something bad about this blade: it’ll dull fast. You will have no trouble sharpening it, but you will sharpen this blade more than usual.
It’s not that bad all things considered. If you have a sharpening stone, it’s a 5-minute ordeal. But if knife maintenance bothers you, no matter how easy it is to sharpen it, you’ll find it’s more trouble than it’s worth.
What Are The Best 7cr17mov Steel Knives in the Market
Last update on 2020-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Simply put, 7cr17mov stainless steel is a great options for first-timers and for those who don’t want to put a lot of money to buy a knife. It’s great if you’re looking to try a knife out without too much of a compromise.
It’s a knife that gets the job done and will last if you take care of it.
Overall, it’s not the best knife on the market – but it definitely is the best one if you’re in a budget.
Learn More About Knife Steel:-
- What Is 14c28n Steel? A Complete Guide
- What is sk5 steel? A Complete Guide
- What Is 3cr13 Steel? A Complete Guide
- What is T10 Steel? Is It The Best For Katanas?
- How Good is Damascus Steel? What Is So Special About It?
- 30 Best Knife Steel You Should Know About
- How Good is 440 Stainless Steel? The Truth Revealed
- How Good is 1095 Steel? The Truth Revealed
- What You Should Know About VG-10 Steel: A Complete Guide